Wednesday 21 December 2016

Memories Of A Very Different Era...

Super Celtic moved 14 points clear at the top of the Premiership last night after a wonderful Scott Sinclair strike sank Partick Thistle at Celtic Park. After the match there was much talk about our recent performances and some fans are unhappy at what is undoubtedly a dip in quality. Of course everyone has their own opinion and they are entitled to voice it but it got me thinking about days gone by and times when winning 1-0 at home was classed as a good result. Before I knew where I was the dreaded period from the 90's was fresh in my mind.  For a nice change of pace today, I'd like to tell a story from that era and maybe make my point about appreciating wins when they come. Days when you were so depressed at our rivals domination you could barely face the world around you. I'm talking of course, about the dreaded 9 in a row days...


In 1995 Celtic, managed by the one and only Tommy Burns reached the Scottish Cup Final and would face Airdrie at Hampden Park. This author was 10 years old at the time and had only recently taken an interest in Celtic and the game in general. Six years had passed since Celtic had last won a trophy and this would be one of the first games I would lay eyes on. Despite being in Spain at the time with my family, we managed to see the game and when Pierre Van Hoijdonk scored what turned out to be the winning goal I can remember the wild celebrations at the end. Judging from the scenes going on around me it was obvious just how big a deal it was. Yet for me it didn't really mean anything because unlike some of our poor fans I hadn't endured the suffering they had for such a long time. Sometimes I am glad I didn't know any better back then. Unfortunately the next three years I can recall quite vividly.


Tommy Burns was a wonderful man, kind, compassionate and the very epitome of Celtic and it's values. After the cup final I had fallen in love with Celtic and Tommy's team was just so exciting to watch. Guys like the aforementioned Van Hooijdonk, Jorge Cadete, Paolo Di Canio and my favourite Andy Thom were top class international players who lit up Celtic Park whenever they took to the field. Yet Tommy was ultimately unable to deliver the League title and game after game we would hammer Rangers into the ground only for them to sucker punch us with a devastating counter attack. Tommy paid the price and was replaced by Wim Jansen. Being a Celtic fan in those days was just so hard when you had to face the other lot's gloating fans day after day. Even for a young boy like myself it would frustrate the life out of you to watch us desperately try to topple Rangers. Tommy losing his job and the departure of our top players for varied reasons meant that after only a few years I was beginning to lose hope. Goodness know's how the fans who had waited from 1989 to see us lift the title must have been feeling. Rangers had equaled our proud record of 9 consecutive league titles and were pushing for a record breaking tenth. No one really believed Wim Jansen could stop them. I can remember my 12 year old self asking my Celtic mad Papa if he thought we could do it and his reply, delivered in a despairing tone shocked me to the core


"The way things are going they will probably end up doing about fifteen in a row"


As it happened we played very well that season and on the last day all we had to do was beat St.Johnstone at Celtic Park to secure our first title since 1989. Saying it was a nerve wracking experience would be an absolute understatement and in those days I would listen to the Celtic games on the radio with my Papa. Today would be no different and when I got to his house he wasn't around despite the door being unlocked. Switching on the radio as the game kicked off made the butterflies in my stomach reach never before experienced levels and it was then that I noticed my Papa out doing his garden. Strange.. he had never missed a game before and when I asked if he was coming in to listen he simply said he would in a minute. After nine minutes had passed, Henrik Larsson put us ahead and there was nothing I could do but jump for joy, wildly running round the living room shouting all sorts of unintelligible nonsense while my Papa stood oblivious outside. Running out the door as fast as my legs could carry me, shouting Celtic have scored alerted him to what had transpired. He simply smiled and came in the house to listen to the rest of the game which we spent mentally willing Celtic to get over that line and deliver the title. When Harald Brattback doubled our lead later on, it was the happiest day of my young life so far. Celtic had stopped the 10 and the relief was almost overwhelming. My Papa had clearly not been up for the nerve shredding match and only when Henrik scored did he feel at ease and come in to listen to it. It meant everything to him, and it meant everything to me and probably every Celtic fan at the time. Happy days and a time I look back on fondly.


Of course nowadays things are VERY different, Celtic are the top dogs in Scottish Football while our oldest and greatest rivals spent their way to oblivion. Karma is a beautiful thing and we continue to lord it over them just as they did us in the 90's. What we must not do is fall into the trap of treating wins as if we have an absolute right to get them. We are on a winning run with a good side and a top class manager, let's try and enjoy it. Obviously fans are entitled to moan about football quality, especially if those fans are paying their hard earned money but sometimes we should take stock and try and remember the bad old days when we yearned for our beloved Celtic to beat the bad guys and restore our pride in footballing circles. Those days will never be forgotten and nor should they because they serve as a reminder just how far we have come. Hail Hail and God bless the mighty Glasgow Celtic.


Let us know your thought's in the comments below.


If you'd like to learn more CLICK HERE


Don't Forget To Like Us On Facebook & Follow Us On Twitter 

No comments:

Post a Comment